2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, diced
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 litre reduced salt vegetable stock
1 head of broccoli including heads and stalks, roughly chopped
1 x 400g tin chickpeas, rinsed and drained
salt and pepper, to season
a few fresh basil leaves, torn
squeeze of fresh lemon juice
1. Heat olive oil in a large, deep saucepan over a medium - high heat and add in the onion and garlic, cooking for a few minutes, until they start to soften.
2. Add fennel seeds and chopped broccoli and stir for another minute.
3. Add stock and bring to a boil.
4. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and add the chickpeas. Cook for 5 - 6 minutes until the broccoli is tender but not mushy.
5. Use a stick blender to blend until smooth, season with salt and pepper to taste. If you don't have a stick blender you can wait until it cools a little then pop in a high power blender like a Vitamix.
6. Serve with parmesan cheese, torn basil leaves and squeeze of lemon juice.
Amanda is a registered personal trainer and certified boxing instructor who specialises in fitness for women. Her goal is to inspire women of all ages to enjoy living an active, healthy life!
As a Mum of an active boy and baby girl and owner of Perth-based personal training company She’s a Knockout, Amanda is dedicated to empowering women to be fit, strong and confident in themselves.